- What is a Doula?
- The Role of a Doula – What a Doula Does and Doesn’t Do
- Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice of a Doula
- DONA Certification Overview
- Prenatal Contact and Interviewing
- Birth Plan Preparation
- Emotional Support in Labor and Birth
- Physical Support in Labor and Birth
- Physical and Emotional Comfort Measures including: Hydrotherapy, Positioning, Counterpressure, Use of Hot and Cold, Massage, Acupressure, etc.
- How to Support Difficult Labors
- How to Help Facilitate Rotation and Descent of Posterior or Asynclitic Babies
- Epidurals and Other Medications
- How to Support Women Utilizing Pharmacological Pain Relief
- How to Facilitate Partner Support
- Cesarean Sections
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean
- What is the Ideal Birth Experience?
- Breastfeeding Initial Latch
- Immediate Postpartum Support
- Processing the Birth Experience with the Mother
- Labor and Birth Scenarios and Practice
EVERY WORKSHOP ATTENDEE RECEIVES THE FOLLOWING
You’ll automatically be added to our Becoming a Doula email list and you’ll receive updates of upcoming workshops and other events relevant to your birth worker path.
At the training, you’ll get delicious lunches and snacks throughout, and you’ll receive a resource book of copy-able handouts and articles for use in your own doula practice.
WORKSHOP DETAILS AND POLICIES
This training is one of your biggest steps toward certification as a doula with DONA.
There are three perquisites to attending this class.
- You must have a good working knowledge of the basics if birth like station, dilation, effacement, stages of labor, etc. If you don’t, I suggest reading a couple basic birth books before your workshop dates.
- You must have watched The Business of Being Born before coming to class. This is available to rent on Amazon for $1.99.
- You must have watched Orgasmic Birth before attending the training. This is available to rent on Amazon for $1.99.
Non-mobile nursing babies are allowed but please be considerate of other students. Older nursing babies are allowed to visit on breaks but not during class.
*Workshop fees are non-refundable but can be put toward future trainings if you aren’t able to attend the workshop you registered for.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Melissa Chappell is an midwife, doula, entrepreneur, author, speaker, trainer and humanitarian. She has worked with hundreds of expectant parents and students over the course of nearly 20 years in the field of childbirth as an Internationally Certified Doula and Doula Trainer with DONA International, and in the capacity of childbirth educator and student midwife. Melissa sits on the board of a Haitian non-profit humanitarian organization called Naturopaths Without Borders, and regularly travels to third world countries to work with local midwives and pregnant and birthing women. She owns Fresh Melissa LLC, a for-profit food company that has successfully been in business nearly a decade and is the author of Melt in Your Mouth, Purposeful Eating, FAVES, Fruits and Veggies, and Energy’s Secret. She’s currently at work on a new book on nutrition in pregnancy.